7 Holiday Pet Hazards You Can't Ignore
Looking for holiday stocking stuffers for your pets? Those holiday rawhides may look like enticing treat ideas, but they can cause a slew of issues for your furry friend. Rawhides are not very digestible and have a tendency to get stuck in your pet’s throat, stomach and/or intestines. Rawhides when chewed become very slippery and difficult to grasp when stuck in your pet’s throat. Avoid these issues and grab the rawhide alternative chew treats for your pets! These are highly digestible treats.
4. Holiday Plants Pretty and Dangerous!Holiday plants are a wonderful way to turn your home into a winter wonderland, but can present real dangers to your pet. Even non toxic plants can cause severe gastrointestinal upset if ingested in large quantities.
Harmful holiday plants include:
Amaryllis, Azaleas, Chrysanthemums, Holly, Ivy, Juniper, Lily, & Mistletoe.
Poinsettias are widely thought to be toxic to pets, however they are considered low in toxicity. They can still cause irritation to the mouth and stomach when ingested resulting in vomiting or diarrhea. If your pet ingests any of the listed plants contact your veterinarian immediately and let the veterinary staff know what plant your pet ate, what part of the plant, approximately how much of the plant, and how much time as passed since your pet ingested the plant.
5. Anti-Freeze and Ice Melt
Anti-freeze and rock salt are some cold weather chemicals that can be dangerous for pets. Be especially careful of anti-freeze containing ethylene glycol, as it is deadly to pets. Rock salt can cause a chain reaction of issues for pets. When pets walk on rock salt it can irritate their paws, which can lead to ingestion through licking, and can cause agitation and vomiting. Look for ice melts with a propylene glycol base. These are relatively pet-safe ways to melt ice.
6. Holiday Foods
Leave leftovers for yourself and not your pet! Fatty, spicy, and no-no human foods such as chocolates or bones should be kept away from your pet. These foods may seem like a special treat for your pet, but can cause some costly consequences such as gastrointestinal upset, vomiting, pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), or blockages that require emergency surgery to correct. Skip the vet bill and give your pet their own approved treats this holiday season.
7. Christmas Trees
Even Christmas trees can pose a danger to pets. Falling trees can cause injuries to pets. Cats like to use the new bark texture as scratching posts or like to climb up the tree causing trees to topple over. Secure your tree by tying the top/sides of the tree off onto a hook on an adjacent wall or ceiling. Even ingestion of the water in live tree bases (with and without additives) or ingestion of evergreen needles can cause gastrointestinal issues for cats and dogs. Evergreen needles can get stuck in your pets stomach or intestines requiring emergency surgery to remove. Avoid this by keeping pets out of the tree water basin and keeping fallen needles picked up.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.